Friday, November 20, 2015

I Dare You

There are two kinds of people in the world:

People who pick up coins from the street, and people who drop them there.

Those who drop them on the street consider this form of currency outdated, useless, and impractical.

Those who pick up the change see opportunity and take advantage of it.

In a world where people are no longer describe by the quality of their humanity but by the quality of the wallet that holds their money, one would assume that any for of currency is good currency. Nonetheless, this imperfect world proves us wrong constantly.

For over two months now, as I have been unraveling the topic of poverty to my readers in the hopes to instill a sense of responsibility about the subject in them. My posts have ranged from personal examples to global crisis. I have made sure to provide resources, in every post, for the reader who felt the need to go beyond just being aware of the matter, those who felt a sense of urgency to make a change and donate to a specific cause. Facts and opinions adorn the entire blog demonstrating my thorough research and competence of the sub-topics.

Simultaneously, I have been on a 10-week pursuit of actively searching for all the loose coins that fall out of your pockets and onto the busy streets of Penn States’ world campus.

Being $11.32 dollars richer than I was before, it seems to me the collective value of coins really does add up. But if you still are not convinced about what a few coins can do for you or for someone else, I will provide for you the ultimate example.

I wish to close my final post with a story of a man who gave pennies a chance to prove themselves worthy.

Otha Anders, held pennies in a particular regard. Without having any certain motives to have extra cash in his pocket, seeing as to how he is a home owner and lives an economically stable life already. He simply found it enjoyable to fill up 5-gallon water jugs with these bronze Abrahams. 




After 45 years of penny picking Mr. Anders found himself owning a whopping half a million pennies and once his bank asked him to trade in the coins for cash because of financial quarrels he had become $5,136 richer!



What a rewarding hobby!

Going back to my first post, I remember starting off the blog considering myself a rebel for doing the undoable which in this case is picking up change from the ground. From my perspective I'm finding change while I'm making a change, to others it may not be so black and white.

But, with this in mind and with all the other information I ever provided to you in my previous post, I dare you to be the rebel. To see what others do not see.

A wise man once said, be the change you wish to see in the world… now I’m telling you to pick up the change you see in the world and put it to valuable use. 



6 comments:

  1. The fact that you picked up change and made money yourself established your credibility, which is a good thing. The story about the man collecting change was inspiring. Not just because he made a lot of money, but rather because it can be seen as a metaphor. One penny at a time can make a difference financially, and one person at a time can make a difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great post. I have a coin jar at home and it is so rewarding to see all the small coins add up. Your posts all semester have been eye-opening and inspiring. You did a great job shedding light on important issues and I have really enjoyed following. Have a great Thanksgiving break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that you've found $11.32 in change in just 10 weeks! It's even crazier that over the course of 45 years, Mr. Anderson managed to collect that much money in just pennies! I'll be sure to stay on the look out for any loose change on the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hunter - picking up change yourself made your blog that much more impactful. This post was a great one to end your blog on. It called to mind the roots of your blog, being a rebel. The example of Anders was a powerful way to make your points more concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with this post! I think it's important for all of us to remember that the little things in life can add up to big, amazing things. I really liked the part where you said you've been collecting change while making a change. Your posts have definitely inspired me to be a compassionate and helpful person to all who need aid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really nice way to wrap up this semester of blogging, I like how the common themes tied themselves together in this particular blog, with change and coins and how little things can add up. I wonder what you'll do for next semester, whether you'll continue with this particular strain of if you'll adapt now knowing how his one went. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete